Venerable Ru De discusses this topic:
My understanding after going through the video:
- Buddha is not the creator
- there is no concept of an omnipotent creator in Buddhism
- it boils down to cause and effect (Karma)
- you, yourself, determine your state (of happiness, misery etc).
- Thus Buddha will not be able to just grant us Buddhahood.
- However, Buddha teaches the way to Buddhahood. It will be up to us to work at it and become like Buddha.
There was a latter part in the video where Venerable talks about how the concept of a beginning of things (e.g. like the first matter, first human being, first sentient being) is not logical according to Buddhism. Instead, Buddhism talks about 无始. This part was quite thought provoking for me.