What can we do to understand the Dharma teachings better, and what are some of the benefits that we can attain?

Lama Tsong-kha-pa was an extremely intelligent person who beseeched the virtuous teachers of his time to teach him. He began his learning with the fundamentals - the doctrines and tenets. And spent his first few years of study broadly acquiring the doctrines from various sects. He also sincerely learned from all his teachers and extensively mastered the teachings received from all his teachers. By listening to the teaching of virtuous teachers, one obtains the wisdom arising from listening.
Global Lamrim 2, Lecture 0012
BW Monastery 吉祥宝聚寺 — Lecture No. 0012

So what should we start doing to have a better understanding of teachings?

1 Like

By listening to the teachings of virtuous teachers, we can obtain the wisdom arising from listening. When we contemplate after listening to the teachings, we can obtain the wisdom arising from contemplation. It will then become our own unshakable perception, when we use this perception to practice what we have learnt.

Our minds are transformed while we listening to the teachings, while we contemplate, and then while we applying in the practice. This can lead to a powerful mental transformation. So if we want to achieve such strong mental transformation, we will have to listen to attain wisdom arising from listening and to contemplate to attain wisdom arising from contemplation until it becomes our own unshakable perception.

We can transform from a skewed limited or incorrect perception into something extensive, complete and pure, by listening to the teachings of the scriptures. As even extremely intelligent practitioners like Master Tsong-kha-pa had to learn from all qualified teachers; what about me?

1 Like

Thank you @julieng for starting this thread. Thank you Venerable @Bensi for your reply.

More than 5 years ago, I had thought Dharma and Buddhist Teachings were solely for Venerables and Monks.
I had no desire or even intent to understand these Teachings.
I had assumed that what I had learned from schools and what I will be learning from the secular world will be more than enough for me to thrive in our society.

Well…something happened to me that made me reconsider such a prideful position.

I started listening to the Teachings of Master Ri-Chang. His words reached into me and I knew that this was a virtuous Teacher that was filled with compassion for us and was going all out to help us with our suffering.

I have felt a bit of the mental transformation in me that Venerable @Bensi has mentioned.
And for that, I am eternally grateful to the Dharma Teachers and Teachings.

:pray: