If our distracted mind is compared to a fighter aircraft, and what would the steel wire ropes that halt the aircraft be compared to?

If our mind were the fighter aircraft, what kind of pulling force does it require to halt us right on this Dharma ship (to focus on listening to the teachings)? Everyone thinks about this question. While you are fully occupied with lots of mundane tasks just like [the aircraft] soaring high up in the air, how fast could you land on the aircraft carrier and listen to the teaching? The carrier can carry us to the shore of the unsurpassable enlightenment. How soon you could land, also takes practice. Thus, what exactly is this steel wire rope, the rope or the lifeline that can halt us quickly? [04′20″]
Global Lamrim 2, Lecture 0019
BW Monastery 吉祥宝聚寺 — Lecture No. 0019

If our distracted mind is compared to a fighter aircraft, and what would the steel wire ropes that halt the aircraft be compared to?

1 Like

The steel ropes would be the dharma? And I think also the meditation practices and precepts, because these help a distracted mind become focused.

1 Like

I will use concepts such as “Mindfulness of Death” to review quickly…

1. Where will I be going next?
  2. I’ve been getting my priorities all wrong with the mundane world activities… so can I do something about it NOW?
  3. Am I certain that Dharma is the key to a better next moment/life?
  4. If so, how do I maximise my time in this lesson?
1 Like

The steel wire ropes could be our aspiration, motivation or mindfulness to our thoughts, speech and actions.

1 Like