How does “me” or “my view” relate to the purpose of the teachings in the sutras and scriptures?

Thus, in this situation, two issues remain. One is “my view” - well, I consider this view to be “right”! But what does this “right” mean? [On what standard is it based?] [In comparison with] worldly convention, you are now aware of things you did not understand at the surface level. [We judge what is “right”] based on the conventional standard and that once we have gained a deeper understanding [our view of “right” is adjusted, yet still require improvement through even deeper understanding]. - Master Jih-Chang
Global Lamrim 2, Lecture 0020

Is there something wrong with “me” or “my view”? How does “me” or “my view” relate to the purpose of the teachings in the sutras and scriptures?

1 Like

The “me” or “my view” emerge when we think that our view is correct. If not handled tactfully, we will end up learning from the “me” and we will continue thinking that what we have understood is correct and then we shut off and that prevents us from exploring deeper. Our personal opinions become stronger and more forceful; whatever we learn will further strengthen our personal opinions, so this is a sign of self-grasping. It means we have a stronger opinion of ourselves, once this strength of self-grasping starts to flourish and magnify, our lives will suffer more and more.

To remove this suffering, which is the purpose of the teachings in Buddhist sutras and scriptures, they will point out to the root cause of suffering; our wrong views, our wrong way of thinking, erroneous perception, erroneous feeling. Other people might have the same encounter, yet they do not suffer as much as us. Even in the same encounter, the degree of suffering differ from people to people. Hence, we can infer that the cause of suffering or happiness is not from the external incident, it can neither directly generate suffering or happiness. The causes of suffering and happiness arises from our perception of that particular matter. When such perception arises, it will generate emotions such as tension, sadness or satisfaction etc. Therefore, the source of suffering and happiness actually arise from our mind, and to be more precise, they arise from our views towards a thing, a matter, an issue, or an object.

1 Like

thank you venerable for the above insight!
It helps me see a bit better.