Concepts of Karma

Venerable Ru Jun answers a question on how we can better let go of the unhappy things in life:

I got it from it that from better understanding how karma works, we can use the concept to help us in our present suffering. Going more good and thinking of others to alleviate our afflictions. In fact, Venerable Ru Jun quoted Master Ri-Chang saying that “when you truly believe in Karma, all your problems will be solved”

From this session, I also picked up concepts about Karma that I previously didn’t think about. For example, if I were to help someone else, it is the result of that person’s good karma ripening rather than through my effort. However, I will still have done good karma and this will definitely benefit me.

Watch from thr 559 min mark where Venerable Ru Jun dives into explaining Karma:

In Lamrim class, we are taught the 4 laws of Karma ( I attend the Chinese classes so do forgive me for my inaccurate translation):

1. Karma Is Definite – Reaping What Is Sown
  2. Karma Is Dynamic – Reaping More Than Is Sown
  3. Karma Is Specific – Not Reaping What Is Not Sown
  4. Karma Is Never Wasted – Reaping Now and Later
    reference: http://www.thewisdomawakened.com/2017/02/4-laws-of-karma-taught-by-buddha-you.html

Venerable Ru Jun’s latest discourse seems to be touching more on rule 2 (Karma is dynamic i.e. it grows) and rule 4 (Karma is never wasted).

Venerable also encouraged us to make a habit of doing good karma.

Have a listen and let me know if you agree:

By taking the 8 precepts for a day, but continue to indulge in the non-virtuous acts on other days, will we still be reborn in the happy realm?

It is true. We don’t usually train our mind to contemplate using karma to view our afflictions. We often look at the external conditions rather than trying to change our internal views.

In Global Lamrim II, Teacher ZR established the fact that we lack this practice of viewing things from a cause and effect perspective.

Venerable Ru Jun further contrast and explained how someone holding the concept of karma could apply it to change his mindstream and combat his afflictions.

1 Like

性莊法師業果开示

Venerable talks about another way of looking at
业决定一切, changing it to 一切由业决定.

I see the former can be seen as more resigning to Karma and leaving it to fate while the latter demonstrates understanding that one can determine one’s Karma and thus fate.

:pray: