Buddhism and science

currently at lamrim 64A:
【“谓若凡是近对治品,可损减法,彼由成就有力对治,能毕竟尽如金秽等,正法障等一切皆是如所说法,由此正理,则妄执心,所作堕处可无余尽。】

【若不尔者,则违正理及违多经。】

Shifu’s discourse on this related about science and buddhism

so reminded me of this book:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/100629.The_Universe_in_a_Single_Atom - by Dalai Lama XIV

if you like quantum physics or quantum chemistry, this is really a happy read.

1 Like

Speaking of Buddhism and Science, I was blown away by how the teachings have terms for the various stages of development in the birth of a human being. For example, 羯罗蓝 > Kalala in Pali, based on this article, will refer to the placenta and also the first stage in the formation of the fœtus.

This was in the context of describing the suffering one will go through while being in the womb of the mother.

I am pretty sure that there was no advanced medical devices to probe or do scans of the womb.
How did the scholars of old even come to have this information?

This "discovery"of mine gave me a boost in faith on the depth and all encompassing nature of the Buddhist Teachings!

More references here:

【八位胎藏】
(名数)小儿在母胎中之八时期也:一、羯罗蓝Kalala,二、额部昙Arbuda,三、闭尸Peśī,四、健南Ghana,五、钵罗奢佉Praśākhā,六、毛发爪齿位,七、根位,八、形位,受胎后七日间曰羯罗蓝,译作凝滑。受胎二七日后其形如疮疱,谓之额部昙,译作疱。受胎至三七日则其状如聚血,谓之闭尸,译作聚血,或软肉。受胎四七日则渐渐坚固,有身意二根而未具眼耳鼻舌之四根,谓之健南,译作凝厚。受胎五七日,则肉团增长,四支及身分之相始现,谓之钵罗奢佉。受胎后六七日,则生毛发爪齿,谓之毛发爪齿位。受胎七七日,则眼耳鼻舌之四根圆满具备,谓之根位。受胎八七日以后,在胎藏中,形相完备,此位谓之形位。

And where it is mentioned in the Lamrim:

【所有食味,从母腹中入自脐孔,而为资长,渐成羯罗蓝,頞部陀,闭尸健南,手足微动,体相渐现。手足面等胎衣缠裹,犹如粪秽,】
Lamrim Commentary Track 69B

Ajahn Brahm puts in across quite well:

Buddhism don’t just believe in these things… try and prove it or disprove it if it is false and that was very much a scientific way

…follows scientific paradigm so don’t believe until you can prove it, post your theories, test them out and that is easy for me as a scientist to be a Buddhist

here is an old article from The New York Times with quite a few useful quotes about the compatibility of Buddhism and science:

Quotes like:

the Tibetan spiritual leader views science and Buddhism as complementary “investigative approaches with the same greater goal, of seeking the truth,” he wrote in “The Universe in a Single Atom,” his book on “how science and spirituality can serve our world.” He stresses that science is especially important for monastics who study the nature of the mind and the relationship between mind and brain.

Lhakdor also sees similarities rather than contradictions between science and Buddhism. Like Buddhism, “the approach of science is generally based on unbiased findings through observation, analysis and finding the truth,” he noted.

Tibetan Buddhists are already accustomed to analyzing multiple viewpoints, he said.

The Dalai Lama’s confidence in “critical investigation” means that “if scientific analysis were conclusively to demonstrate certain claims in Buddhism to be false, then we must accept the findings of science and abandon those claims,” he wrote in “The Universe in a Single Atom.”

Lhadron, the nun, added, “Buddhists believe whatever reality is there, not just what such and such a text says.”

Science may be far advanced in the West, but a moral vacuum exists, said Bryce Johnson, an environmental engineer who coordinates the Science for Monks program. “There’s something lost in the West,” Dr. Johnson said. The meeting of science and Buddhism is “a healthy exchange that is as much for the scientists.”

another interesting and thought provoking article:

The Scientific Buddha

Why do we ask that Buddhism be compatible with science?

https://tricycle.org/magazine/scientific-buddha/

There is much mention on the immeasurable size of the universe (or universes) in the Buddhist sutras.
I think it is mind blowing that these ancient texts are saying what our modern day scientists are just discovering.
It helps strengthens my belief that the Buddhist teachings are logic based and that Buddha is omniscient!

Check out these videos to maybe get a feel of how small our world is and contemplate how our daily troubles and petty issues may not be so significant.