Offerings

During my Lamrim classes, I learn to do light offerings, flower offerings and water offerings. Since young, I was baffled each time when I witnessed offerings left at roadsides. What is the significance?

供养是三宝弟子表达对三宝的恭敬和感恩的方式,主要是以清净的身、语、意来供养,手上的灯、花、水、食物等等只是象徵。供养的意乐很重要。只要以净信心至诚供养,哪怕一盞水,都有无量无边的功德。

供养分几部分:
第一、财敬供养,第二、身语承事,有了這兩個基础以后,第三、依教奉行。

相对于民间祭拜祖先鬼神的作法,若从精神层面来看,华人在中元节祭祀祖先,是对祖先感恩的表现,而佛教的盂兰盆节也是孝顺的表征。主要还是看供养时的意乐。

参考:

1. 日常老和尚《菩提道次第广论讲记》
  2. 圣严法师 《食在好素》
1 Like

Offerings to the Triple Gems are a Buddhist devotee’s way of expressing respect and gratitude to the Triple Gems. The most important part when making offerings is to use our pureness in body, speech and mind to do so. The lamps, flowers, water and food etc. held in our hands are only symbols.

The motivations in making the offerings are very important. When you have pure faith and make these offerings sincerely, even a small cup of water will have limitless and boundless merits.

Offerings can be made in the follow manner:

• Wealth offering
  • Carrying out tasks and accomplishing them with our bodies and speech
  • Practicing in accordance to the Dharma

As opposed to common folklore’s believes of offering and praying to ancestors, ghosts and spirits, on the emotional aspect, the Chinese’s way of making offerings to their ancestors during the seventh lunar month is more of an expression of gratitude towards their ancestors. Likewise for the Buddhists’ Ullambana Festival, it is also a representation of filial piety. Overall, the main emphasis still has to be the motivation behind one’s act in making the offerings.

References:

1. Venerable Master Jih Chang’s discourses on《The Great Treatise on the Stages of the Path to Enlightenment》
  2. Venerable Master Sheng Yan《The Goodness of Vegetarian》
2 Likes

Hi, @JongYin…Appreciate your efforts. Motivations is indeed a crucial factor when making offerings. I have a better understanding now. :slight_smile::grinning: