[念死 Mindfulness of Death] 修行的第一关 The first gateway of practice

Another intimate piece of reporting from ChannelnewsAsia - What does on in the mortuary.

Such articles helps me prepare for the eventuality of death and to be reminder that death doesn’t follow a schedule:

“In the morning in the ward, we were laughing and … suddenly two hours (later), we got information that he died,” he recalled. “From there, I realised that life is very fragile. Anything can happen any time.”

And the preciousness of life and not to waste it

What her father would like people to think about, however, is death itself. “Because one day, they’re bound to fall sick. They’re bound to die,” said Mr Moshien, who is “100 per cent ready” to meet his Maker.

“Every morning, I wake up (and) say, ‘I’m blessed and grateful … to be alive, to be peaceful and to enjoy this (life).’ So life’s a celebration.”

And the compassion and care of the people taking care of people in the last stages of their lives

This process of care after death – the last office performed for a patient – begins with the nurses.

And like the mortuary team does, they treat a body as if it were alive by, for example, apologising as they work in pairs to clean it from head to toe, so that the deceased look presentable for their families.

Senior staff nurse Shahirah Moshien, who works in the intensive care unit and is Mr Moshien’s daughter, explained: “It reminds me of myself – (if) people (were to) clean me in my private areas … So we always say so sorry.”

What did you learn from this? Want to share?

Illness and death doesn’t come at a fixed time. It strikes the young, the old and even when one is seemingly healthy. How we cope with it when it comes is crucial:

This portion of Venerable Ru De’s discourse touched me - 诸行无常 impermanence.

Video starts from the 1 min 30 sec mark:

As I get older, this realisation is growing. Our lives are short. The happiness and grieve we had are just flickers of time.
Buddhism gives me an opportunity to make something better our of my life.

Some practical advice for when our loved ones leave:

An elder reminds us to prepare for the inevitability of death.

Death is inevitable.
Death is nothing to be afraid of.
I tell myself I must be prepared.
Impermanence may strike at any time

I hope I can be as determined as her.

不念死的話就會覺得我本善良,怎麼會有惡行?!就會處在一種浮浮泛泛的狀態下聽法,你會這樣嗎?

My take:
If we don’t keep Mindfulness of Death, we will assume that we are doing good, or at least, not doing anything evil. We will likely continue in our flippant attitude and not be as cautious in checking ourselves or as serious in our listening to Dharma and our practice.

Venerable Ru Jun shares more in his discourse:

活在当下

从一个朝九晚五的上班族到一名家庭纪实摄影师,曾与死神擦肩而过的卓国泰决定拿起相机,用照片来记录珍贵的家庭生活和孩子的成长时光。