Is it true that a person that died from committing suicide will not be able to reincarnate?

Short answer is “no, everybody will reincarnate within 49 days”.

However, there are negative implications if one commits suicide. For the details, watch Venerable 如得’s discourse:

1 Like

something else to share on this sombre topic: Master Ri-Chang’s Lamrim Commentary Track 52A

【此复若是杀者自杀,有加行罪,无究竟罪。】"This is in consideration of cases of suicide, and when there is a sin of commission that lacks culmination.”
因为这个杀生一定是杀的对方,所以假定说你杀的自己的话,你有加行罪却没究竟罪,因为这个四相当中,“事”没有,你被杀的对象没有,你杀自己了。
【《瑜伽师地论》于此意趣,说他有情,】"Moreover, the 《Levels of Yogic Deeds》 adds the qualification “other,” as in “another living being.”
因为这个论上面告诉我们,所谓杀生的事一定杀的对方。所以说如果自杀的话,你没有被杀的对方,所以这个罪不究竟。但是你有杀的这个行为呀,所以有它的加行,加行就是你“杀”那个行为,这个是有的,你只要沾上一点,就沾多少就有多少罪。

My reading is the Karma from committing suicide is of a lesser degree than killing another person.

In case anyone is concerned why I seem to be harping on “suicide”, my fascination is more on how these Buddhist Teachers and their Sutras are able to provide such a wide breath and depth of coverage touching on so many practical areas of concern in our life - relevant even now.

Sharing Master Sheng Yen’s discourse in which he talks about the preciousness of life and his argument against taking one’s own life:

1 Like